Monday, April 02, 2007

Meet Cynthia Gibb


As I've mentioned in previous posts, Cynthia walked in for the reading and nailed it. It was love at first sight. She was marvelous. Unfortunately until the wonderful, splendid, lovely, perfect Caker came along we were not able to cast Cynthia because we couldn't find someone who looked like her. So, as all things happen in filmmaking, it came down to the last minute. We had to ask Cynthia if she would take the role with only a few days to prepare. You can imagine my anxiety waiting for that answer.

Cynthia plays Bonnie Adult, and I never made any secret of the fact that Bonnie was my favorite character in the picture. I can't explain why without giving away plot points and risking being crushed by a tree, but Bonnie's got a lot going on. I found her to be the most complicated character in the film, the most interesting, and the hardest to define. Which is why it was with this character I was less than helpful as a director.

There is no actor I let down more than Cynthia. Even though I instinctively understood Bonnie, the art of articulation failed when it came to translating that instinct. Because of that she was forced to go through take after frutrating take as I grappled to find it. And many times Steven would have to step in and help. But she was a total pro. She never complained or stopped trying. And she got it -- mostly in spite of me. I loved Bonnie on the page. I love her even more now.

Cynthia also created one of the more fetching moments of the film. There's this shot of her in a particular sequence where she looks right into the camera and smiles. It's killer. I've had a crush on her ever since. **Just don't tell the script supervisor.**

1 Comments:

Blogger Gina said...

I've seen Cynthia Gibb once before (in a movie with John Schneider, oddly enough!). She is very good. It'll be nice to see her again.

Okay, since you've finished up Alejandra's questions, here's a new one for you. This was inspired by what you said about one of the actors having an Errol Flynn vibe:

Say you were making this movie in the '30s, the '40s, or the '50s -- pick your favorite decade for classic films -- and you could cast absolutely anyone you wanted. Which actors would be appearing in "Beautiful Loser"?

(If you want, you can stick to the adults; it might be easier than casting the teens.)

5:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home