Thursday, February 15, 2007

On The Lot


Except for the whole making money thing, yesterday felt like I was really in the business. Nothing makes you feel like you're in the business more than meetings. Unless, of course, it's meeting on-the-lot. And I was on two lots: Disney and Warner Brothers.

As far as how the meetings went, they went fine -- but the highlite was the Warner Brothers' lot. I purposely arrived an hour early for time to check it out ,and it was unbelievable. It's by far the best lot I've been on. I thought it was the last one on my list, but my manager reminded me we haven't been to Paramount yet. So, I'm hoping no one buys the pitch so I can use it to go there.

What's great about the WB lot is that outside the soundstages they have a plaque that lists the movies that were made there. So, I was in the buildings where The Maltese Falcon, Mildred Pierce, Casablanca, Robin Hood, Captain Blood, Juarez, The Green Berets, Rio Bravo, Jezebel, This Is The Army, and Yanke Doodle Dandy were made. It was almost like being in church. At least for me it was. Those were movies.

I arrived around quitting time so it was pretty empty and by pretending to belong (carry papers and pretend to talk on your cell phone) I was able to walk all around the Gilmore Girls and Studio 60 sets. The Studio 60 set reminded me of Buffalo Bill's basement in Silence of the Lambs. It was that creepy. I kept waiting to hear, "It puts the lotion on it's skin, or it gets the hose again." I've never watched the show, but the set sure piqued my interest. Is that the one with Matthew Perry or Alec Baldwin?

The WB lot also has the biggest fake town/city I've seen yet. A big part of it is the outside of the E.R. set. They also named a soundstage after the show Friends.

So, yesterday was just another experience I never thought I'd have that made me so glad I came out here.

2 Comments:

Blogger Gina said...

Fun! Did you stand in the "Casablanca" building and do "Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world . . ."? I would have. :-)

10:26 AM  
Blogger Snoopy said...

Sounds like you had some fun! I've always wanted to visit some of these studio lots, most notably Ren-Mar which used to be Desilu.

10:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home