Wednesday, May 09, 2007

More Wild IMDB Recommendations


I don't know what crazy criteria they use to recommend movies for those interested in Beautiful Loser, but here are the latest ones from IMDB -- all of which I've seen:
--
Bend It Like Beckham: A soccer film set in not-America. It's a good film, but...?

Something's Gotta Give: Romantic comedy between the 60+ Jack Nicholson and Diane Keaton. Am I missing something?

The Girl Next Door: An amusing 80's style teen comedy and near-remake of Risky Business that gave me the excuse to post that photo.

While I'm happy to see the IMDB's BL recommendations move up to less obscure and more popular titles, they're still wildly off the mark. Here are some I think hit closer when it comes to theme, tone, style, and story:

Chilly Scenes of Winter: When Turner Classic Movie host Robert Osbourne was asked to screen one obscure film he felt had never gotten its due, he chose this one. I've been in love with it for twenty-five years, seen it a hundred times, will see it a hundred more.

The Pledge: Sean Penn's masterpiece starring Jack Nicholson about a man who loses his soul trying to do a good deed; trying to keep a promise to a grieving mother. Thematically, it's one of the most unique films I've ever seen.

Annie Hall: Everyone steals from Annie Hall. And anyone who says they don't is either a fool or a liar.

Maximum Overdrive: A Stephen King thriller about trucks that come to life and try to kill people trapped in a diner. Kidding-- Not about the movie, about recommending it.

The Big Chill: An obvious generic choice but I'm running out of ideas and my Hot Pockets are done.

2 Comments:

Blogger kris1O said...

...Something's Gotta Give..?
I saw that movie being filmed when I was visiting my friend in Paris, so of course I bought the DVD when it came out. I was all excited to see the part that I saw being shot.
I barely made it to that scene; in fact, I fast forwarded to it.
In short, and I don't really know what this has to do with anything, but man that movie sucks. >__<

8:19 PM  
Blogger Gina said...

I see from your link that there are two versions of "Chilly Scenes": one with a happy ending and one with a sad ending. Is it cheating if I ask you which version was an inspiration for your film? :-)

7:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home