Wednesday, May 02, 2007

New Script Starts Today


I was sicker than I thought Monday. Today I feel much better. About 85%. Unfortunately The Hot Little Script Supervisor caught it Monday night and as I write this is is next to me on the couch in a Nyquil-coma.

And so now that I'm feeling better and have completed my previous script it's time to embark on a new one. We have a development person at Disney eager to help us. She presented the pitch to her boss and he loved it but because of the tricky concept, he's not willing to take a chance paying an unproven writer. He did say he'd buy it if Harold Ramis pitched it. I think that's a compliment.

But that's how it goes. Four years, two optioned scripts, a movie in the can that doesn't suck, and you still gotta prove yourself. Tenacity is just as key out here as talent. Discouragement -- even when justified -- is of no use.

So, I start a new spec today. But better to do it with people interested at a studio than not, right? And I love starting a new script. Love that blank page and blinking cursor, because that world is mine to do whatever I want with.
-
Thank you all for the nice get well comments and emails. It was appreciated.

2 Comments:

Blogger Gina said...

Glad you're better. Re: tenacity, I swear I don't know how you screenwriters do it. It seems like such a brutal business. I've often thought I'd love to try to write a script, but I don't think I've got the stamina. I'd probably be in the corner sucking my thumb at some early point in the process.

7:20 PM  
Blogger kris1O said...

the cycle never ends, I guess.
and I definitely agree about discouragement--though it's tough to fight off sometimes, in everything we do.
so congrats to you for doing what you do. :]

1:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home